Thursday, May 19, 2011

WK3 My comment to Joanna Puello:


Blog post #3 My comment to Joanna Puello:


I also found myself giggling over Leading from Any Chair. I was interested in your thoughts regarding the experiences that you have had specific to exactly where you are in the room. I can’t say that there is any right answer to it as I have tried to work this out myself. However, here is something that I sometimes do in my art room when the kids are working on their projects after the lesson is presented. I use one of the little computer chairs that have rollers on the bottom and scoot around from table to table. Using the little chair that my bottom barely fits on is lower then my desk chair, less authoritative and I can pull right up to the end of the table. I am engaged with my students at their level and the kids get a kick out of my visits. I know its silly and one might think it unprofessional to be zipping around in a little red chair, but it works.


MAC, Week 3, BP1 Reading: The Art of Possibility
18 05 2011

Photo by LadyHeart (MorgueFile)
I had a good laugh as I read through Chapter 4: “Leading From Any Chair” (The Art of Possibility by Rosamund & Ben Zander)! Ironically, the same day I read the chapter, my boss at the ESOL language center where I teach called me into her office. “I’ve gone by your classroom recently, and I’ve noticed you sitting a lot while you teach. None of the students have complained, but…try to stand more. You can always lean on your chair if necessary. But other than that, everything is fine!”
I nodded and said, “Ok.” (Not going to pick that one to battle!) Then I proceeded to ask her about my current group of students. When I got them, they had just failed Level 3, so I was assigned to re-teach the material. Some of the new students were ready to re-take the test even though we hadn’t finished all of the material because I had tailor-designed the classes so that their test taking would be more successful (and ultimately so that they would learn more English). “Can they re-take the test on Monday?” I asked.
“They don’t re-take the test,” she said, surprised at my question.
“They don’t?” I asked, even more surprised.
“No,” my boss responded, “Because what if they don’t pass the second time?”
Then they have a pretty rotten teacher! I thought to myself. I didn’t say anything but finally understood how my students got to Level 3 when they didn’t know many things that Level 2 students had mastered.
Later that day, I read “Leading From Any Chair”. I remembered my ESOL training through Cambridge University and how in one practice round, the trainer corrected me because I was towering of my students instead of crouching down to their desks. So which way is better? Do I stand or do I sit? Well, I stand while I teach when I need to write on the board or when the class activity naturally requires it. Otherwise, I feel honored to be “at the same level” as my students. What’s so important about standing? Is it to exert an aurora of leadership? If I’m an effective teacher, can’t I teach well from any part of the room? Evidently, standing up = effective teacher or energy or good communication or established authority for my boss. I, on the other hand, measure my success “from the twinkle in their eyes” (Ben Zander). I know that relating to my students (who are often far more accomplished or wealthy than I am) and respecting them as individual people gives me a connection with them and opens the gates to their hearts so that they will be motivated to listen to me talk about the fundamentals of English grammar. I also don’t need to stand to get control or to grab their attention. I can whisper, and they’re all ears because in the midst of the most complex grammar formula, I can insert content that touches their hearts and arouses their curiosity…and makes the keep coming back for more.
To keep my job, I’ll be sure to stand every time my boss comes around and CERTAINLY when the content inspires it. To keep my students, I’ll keep making their eyes twinkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment