Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wk1 MACemdt Copyright Issues


Frankly, I don’t think I will ever fully grasp copyright laws, however it is important for me to express my point of view from a creative, artist’s perspective.
Copyright is all about acknowledgment and value. Creative work gains intrapersonal value when it is acknowledged. Exposure to the work creates interpersonal value. The more who know about it, the more valuable it becomes and therefore extends beyond both intra and interpersonal and this is where copyright comes in.

There have been several instances that I have asked for permission to use creative work in my productions. I am one of those who want to believe that if I don’t gain monetarily from using visual or audio material, then I am free to use it for educational purposes as long as I give credit to the creator(as should be!). Although I have indeed asked for (out of respect) and have been granted permission to add other’s creative work into my production assignments, I know that after reviewing the videos that I have been in violation of copyright laws. I don’t see anyone suing me for my violations for offering examples of creative works; but, can you imagine how frustrating copyright can be for a visual arts teacher in this digital age?

2 comments:

  1. Leah,
    Yes, copyright sounds very frustrating for a visual arts teacher! I'm frustrated and I teach math! You are right in saying that you should always give credit to the originator and that you shouldn't need to ask permission if you are not gaining anything from it. I think that in the world we live in with the internet at our fingertips, if you put something out there, then you should expect that someone may copy it or use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that copyright should have money attached to it and recognize the hard work of the artist. I am just not too fond of how long it lasts after the original artist is gone. And the permission is only good for so long:(
    what about creative commons?

    ReplyDelete