Friday, May 6, 2011

Wk 1 4thPost MACemdt Month 11




The Documentary Good Copy / Bad Copy was is an interesting film on copyright from SO many different points of view, but one statement struck me as so ridiculous that I simply had to comment. In the clip above,(I hope I didn't break any laws by screen-flowing the clip), you were introduced to Dan Glickman, Chairman and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America. Did you hear him state, “…People will not do things for free. It just defies human nature…”

Really? Does this man do anything that doesn’t make him money? So should I have charged the high school students for the hours I spend on the murals and decorations for the proms and theater productions? I mean, none of the chairpersons gave me any money? What do you think I should charge? Should I charge for my time? Should I charge for my creative input and teaching others involved how to paint? Should I charge for the use of my personal materials? Should charge for every time they reuse these huge pieces of work? Should I charge for entertaining the other volunteers with jokes after working long into the evening?
How about all the examples I produced for the students to demonstrate how to use the materials in my art classes. I’ve given hundreds of them away over the years. Darn! What was I thinking ?! All that money I could have made for producing original pieces of art out of the mere pleasure of sharing my experiences and talents with my students and the community!

Mr. Glickman, you poor man. You work much too hard….

No comments:

Post a Comment