Saturday, May 28, 2011

WK4 Reading The Art of Possibility Chapters 9-12



WK4 Reading The Art of Possibility Chapters 9-12


Lighting a Spark…I almost cried when I read these words:
“a ‘no’ can so often dampen our fire in the world of the downward spirial. It can seem like a permanent, implacable barrier that presents us with limited choices: to attack, to manipulate our way around it, or to bow to it in defeat.”

I wish I had the wisdom of the ninth practice 3 years age. It may not have been so hard to keep picking myself up and try again after more “no’s” than I thought I could endure. But I did get up and I have no regrets for all the time and heart invested despite the walls. I’ve become a stronger person for it and appreciate the spirals.
The story of Eastlea can be summarized as this: In the mist of what may seem a defeat, you will have a positive effect when your intentions are honorable. At the middle level, I feel defeated when I cannot motivate some students or when most of the class offers poor reviews on a project. I still try to make changes for the better in the spirit of “HOW FASCINATING!". But once in a while I receive a heartwarming “thank you” from a parent who shares with me how much their kiddo enjoys my class and why. I hold those little comments dear and they push me to do better.



Being the Board…”there is nothing I can do about your mistakes-only about mine”. I tell my disruptive students, “I cannot make you learn. I cannot make you do anything. You are the only one who can do that. But consider this: Do you want to learn and grow with the help of your teachers now or do you want to have to do it all on your own later?
On page 143 Zander offers and example of the tenth practice by referencing the flood-plain Mississippi River. I was reading some blog comments last week on TheWeatherChannel on-line regarding people’s thoughts on the devastation in Mississippi. I wish I had read this passage then. He makes a wonderful point. If you missed it, I encourage you to go back and read it.


Frameworks… A New Children’s Story was one that had personal meaning for me. In the beginning of the year I was going through Miss Stambaugh’s 1st grade class list with the students. When I came to Paige the whole class raised their hands with a bit of commotion. OK! Hold on a minute. I can’t understand everyone at the same time. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to hear news about my students from their classmates. I called on a little one in the front who told me that Paige will not be returning until after Christmas. She has cancer. Paige is a tiny, shy girl who is well liked. As Paige’s mom kept in contact with the class, Miss Stambaugh did an amazing job preparing her class for Paige’s return. They even saved her space in the classroom with a large stuffed animal named “Jackson” He traveled with the class to all of their specials and we rolled out the only chair with a back so that he could join them at the table with whoever was taking care of him that day. When Paige returned, the class was so excited. She wore scarves and cute little hats for the first few months. She was very quiet, yet attentive. Then about two weeks ago I was walking out to my car to head down to the middle school and I heard my name coming from the busy playground. When I looked up it was Paige smiling and waving just before she ran off to play with her friends. She wore nothing on her head that day and she was just as beautiful and happy as ever.

Telling the WE Story… Unfortunately, I took a negative turn as I read this last chapter. I thought about how much I have shut out worldly or state issues just to concentrate on my own missions. I can’t stand talking politics for everyone thinks that their opinion is the right one and speaks about it as if it were rock solid truth. The blog on the weather channel was a back and forth between those who said, “Duh, you live on a flood-plain” and those who lost a house that has been in the family for generations. I don’t listen or read about the SB5 here in Ohio regarding unions anymore for the unions are only giving out half of the truth creating even more panic and frustration. My dues are paying for propaganda and I don’t have any true say about it, unless I want to be blacklisted. I’ll let the professionals do their job for whatever they do now is just going to change again in another 4 or 5 years.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leah.

    Sorry... I posted this out to my blog, but forgot to post it to yours!

    You bring up some interesting observations. I especially liked the “honorable intentions” summary of the Easlea anecdote. I was always taught that when God closes a door, he opens a window. Find the window. That’s what Benjamin Zander discovered in this story – no it did not turn out as he had originally envisioned. In fact, it was so different, that he was about to admit defeat, when someone else asked him to look at the result differently – Zander had found the window.

    I can’t remember where I saw or read the line this line: “You cared when I couldn’t”. That was uttered by a student saying thank you to a teacher. I’ve had it happen to me less than a handful of times in my 33 years. Each was both heartwarming and humbling.

    We have a saying in the entrance of our school. It was spoken by the school’s first director, Msgr. John P. McHugh, in 1956. “If being different, means being right; then, by all means, be different.” We don’t have unions, but we have a Faculty Advisory Committee – a liaison between teachers and the Diocese. We do not have collective bargaining, but we do have a voice. Many times, a lone voice spoke above the rest. And eventually the other side listened. They had no choice as that lone voice was one of justice and truth.

    ReplyDelete